Position Announcement: Administrative Assistant
Inverness Public Utility District
50 Inverness Way
P.O. Box 469
Inverness, CA 94937
415 669 1414
Location: Inverness, CA Marin County
Type: Part-Time, 24-32 hours per week; Salary Depends on Experience
Reports To: District Administrator
The Inverness Public Utility District provides water service to 517 customers (Residential and Commercial) within the service area. The District also provides fire protection and emergency medical care, and disaster management to the community of Inverness in West Marin County.
This position reports to the General Manager and is responsible for assisting with the day-to-day administrative and fiscal duties of the Water System and Fire Department including accounts receivable and accounts payable. This position will assist in the administration, and operations of IPUD departments and programs within broad functional areas as assigned by the General Manager. While specified knowledge related to the water or fire finances may be desired, the emphasis is upon the overall administrative skill of the incumbent. The ability to juggle multiple projects in a varied environment is key to the incumbent’s success.
All IPUD services are provided in a safe, courteous, efficient manner in compliance with State and Federal regulations and District policies. The Administrative Assistant must provide excellent customer service to internal and external District customers. The Administrative Assistant conducts themselves in a professional, courteous, business-like manner with the public, the District Board Members, District partners, fellow employees, contractors, and vendors. The Administrative Assistant behaves in an ethical manner with integrity and honesty, is an example to others and displays loyalty to the District and supports its mission and vision. The work environment involves District offices that are not air conditioned. The Administrative Assistant may be exposed to various levels of noise and vibrations associated with fire trucks, operations radio traffic and other machinery. They may also be exposed to various odors.
Under general direction, performs general administrative tasks as assigned, accounting work including quarterly reconciliations, bi-monthly utility billing, weekly accounts payable and accounts receivable. Assist with analysis and preparation of district annual and mid-year budgets. Perform a variety of analytical and administrative duties in support of both Fire Department administration and Water System administration. Duties may include:
- Answers phone calls, screening when necessary.
- Welcomes and directs visitors and clients.
- Maintains filing system, retrieves information as requested from records, email, minutes, and other related documents; prepares written summaries of data when needed.
- Responds to and resolves administrative inquiries and questions.
- Prepares agendas and schedules for meetings, assists with preparation of Monthly Board Meeting packets.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe or related software.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Basic understanding of clerical procedures and systems such as recordkeeping and filing.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to learn new software applications, including fund accounting.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Associates Degree in Business Administration and/or Bookkeeping Preferred
Qualifications and Requirements
Any combination equivalent to education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical combination is:
- Three to five years of experience in an administrative role.
- Prior experience with a utility district or local government agency desired.
The District reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to waive any requirement and/or substitute equivalencies.
DUTIES INCLUDE: Working under the policy guidance of the District,
COMPENSATION: To Be Determined, based on experience.
- Health Insurance – Medical paid up to the CalPERS PERS Gold Premium for 30 hours / week or more.
- Retirement – Inverness Public Utility District contracts with the California Public Retirement System, 2%@57, with employee portion paid 100% by District.
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan available for participation, 100% paid by employee
- Vacation – Equivalent to two weeks for the first two years
- Sick leave - Equivalent to two weeks
APPLICATION DEADLINE: A resume and cover letter are due by March 18 by mail or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SELECTION PROCESS: Qualified applicants that best meet the needs of the District will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process. The interview and selection process will take place in April 2021 time frame.
PRIOR TO APPOINTMENT: The candidate will successfully pass a background investigation and provide residency verification within three months of appointment.